大学学习之道好成绩的养成(上)

声明:双语文章中,中文翻译仅代表译者个人观点,仅供参考。如有不妥之处,欢迎指正。

Grades are the measure of college success. Like the salary at a job, a batting average in baseball, or the price of a stock, your GPA is an objective indication of how you’re doing—plain for all to see (including you). And yet, there’s surprisingly little good information – least of all from professors—about just what you need to do to get good grades.
分数虽然并非衡量学生的唯一标准,但却肯定是众多标准中重要的一项。正如一份工作提供的工资、或者投篮的命中率、或者一只股票的价格,你的GPA数字化的客观向所有人(当然也包括你自己,)反映着你的学习状况。好消息是,起码从你教授的角度来说,现在我们要给你些拿高分的提示。
Take control of your destiny.
我的命运我做主
Your grade destiny, that is. There’s no teacher or parent to remind you every day of what you need to do, or to make sure you’ve studied for exams. It’s all in your hands. So step up to bat and take responsibility. What grades you get will depend on what you yourself do.
我说的是分数这种命运。没有老师或者父母再会每天提醒你今天应该做什么,或者逼你天天努力学习确保考试拿高分。现在一切都掌握在你自己的手里。所以,向前迈一步为自己负起责任吧。你会拿到什么成绩取决于你会怎么做。
Don’t overload.
不要超负荷
Some students think it’s a mark of pride to take as many hours as the college allows. It isn’t. Take four or at the most five courses each semester. That way, you’ll be able to devote all your energies to a manageable number of subjects and you won’t have to sacrifice quality for quantity.
有些学生可能会认为只要学校体制允许,将课表排得满满当当是种骄傲。事实并非如此。我们建议,每一学期选择四门、最多五门课程为宜。这样,能确保你能有足够的精力和能力投入到每一门学科,而且你也不会为了保证数量而牺牲质量。
Get your a** to class.
按时上课
Most students have a cutting budget: the number of lectures they think they can miss in each course and still do well. But if there are 35 class meetings, each class contains 3 percent of the content: miss seven, and that’s 20 percent. How can you get good grades then?
很多学生会在开课前就在心中算计一本帐:这门课可以逃课的节数并且这门考试还不至于危险。可是你有没有算过,假设一门课有35课时,每堂课基本就相当于全部课程3%的内容,如果逃了7课时,就是20%的课程了。这样算来,少上了20%的内容你打算怎么拿到好分数呢?
Some not-so-nice professors want to penalize students who blow off the class right before Easter or Spring Break. So they pick an essay question for the midterm or final from that very lecture. Next result? You wind up doing major damage to your GPA for the price of just one class.
有些“不太友好的”教授会在复活节或春假前夕惩罚那些逃课的学生。他们会专门挑在这个时候讲授和期中甚至期末考试紧密相关的内容。后面的结果?不言而喻,这门的高分和你是无缘了,仅仅因为你逃了一节课。
Take really good notes.
做好笔记
In many intro courses, the professor’s lectures form the major part of the material tested on the midterm and final. So, as you’re taking notes you’re really writing the textbook for the course – which in many cases is more important than the official textbook. Be sure to get down everything the professor says, and to maintain your notes in an organized and readable form. After all, these are the notes you’ll have to study a number of times later in the course.
在许多课程介绍中,教授在课堂上讲授的内容都是期中和期末考试的重要部分。所以认真做的笔记也就好比一本教科书,事实上,在很多科目里,你的这本自创教科书甚至比那本课本更为重要。记得记下教授所讲的全部重点,尽量保持笔记清晰而有条理。毕竟,这本笔记在考试前你会反复学习。
Study like you mean it.
学习就要用心
There’s a difference between studying and “studying” – and you know what it is. When you’re studying, you’re 100 percent focused on, and engaged with, the material: a total immersion in what you’re doing and a strong desire to get it right. When you’re only “studying” – that is, pretending to study – you’re 35 percent involved, with the other 65 percent of your attention divided among tweeting your friend about how much you’re studying, scoping out the surrounding tables to see who else might be around, and daydreaming about all the fun things you’ll do when you finish this God-awful studying. Look, we know studying can be painful, but all students who get A’s do it (no matter what they tell you).
学习的时候,你是在摆样子还是在用心学,只有你自己最清楚。如果你决定学习,那就百分百的投入,完全沉浸在你所学习的内容,让自己感受到自己的强烈求知欲,做正确的事情。当你只是摆摆样子的时候,假装在学习,大概还有35%的你参与学习中,而其余的65%“身在曹营心在汉”的想着微博上的内容、偷偷侦查周围的朋友们都在做什么、甚至对假装学习结束后去做什么遐想无限。我也知道学习可以是件多么痛苦的事情,但是所有拿到A的同学都是学过来的,不论他们是怎么和你说的。

 

Do all the homework.

 

完成全部作业
You might have thought that the homework and problem sets – each of which is worth maybe one-tenth of one percent of the grade – are just busy work – something the professor assigns just to make sure you’re doing something in the course each week. But, really, the homework provides applications of the concepts, principles, and methods of the field to actual examples. The same sort of examples that will come up on the bigger tests. If you do well on the homework – that is, get 10 out of 10 on the problem sets, or a check-plus on the little writing exercises—you’re putting yourself in a good position to get a 100 when it really counts – on the midterm or final.

 

你可能会认为作业和课后题可能十道题里有一道会出现,也就占最后考试的1%。而这些费时的麻烦工科,也只不过是教授想用这种方法确保学生每周学习这门学科。但是,真的是这样吗?作业包含了课堂上学习的内容、法则和方法甚至举例。这些例题很可能和随后的测试十分相似。如果你认真的做好作业,也就是你明白了全部的习题,那么无疑你已经占了考试中的有利条件,不论是期中还是期末。